World | hijacker '20th Hijacker' Tried Suicide at Gitmo Detainee 'lost all hope' after learning of capital charges By Rob Quinn Posted May 21, 2008 7:48 AM CDT Copied US military personnel inspect cells in Camp 5 maximum-security facility at the Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base in Cuba, Tuesday, May 13, 2008. (AP Photo/Rodrigo Abd) A man accused of being al-Qaeda's 20th 9/11 hijacker tried to kill himself at Guantanamo Bay last month, Reuters reports. A lawyer for the Saudi said he cut his wrist open after learning that the Pentagon had filed capital charges against him. The charges were dropped last week without explanation but the Pentagon has reserved the right to reinstate them. Thinking his execution was looming, he had a mental breakdown and "lost all hope and really had a very direct psychological reaction to all of this," his lawyer said. The detainee has spent more than 6 years in Gitmo, and been subjected to a "special interrogation plan" authorized by Donald Rumsfeld. Read These Next Minneapolis shooter had a plan—and grievances. The Air Force has changed its tune on Ashli Babbitt. Open that wallet big time for a trip to Disney, if you can afford it. A 'tense' clash with RFK Jr. led to CDC chief's trouble. Report an error